- About Us
City is looking at 10-step proposal
On April 27, a proposal to help “Boost Enumclaw’s Economy” was presented at City Council by the chamber’s City Council liaison and chair of the Community Economic Development Committee, Liz Reynolds. As a result, council voted to forward this to the CED Committee to begin looking at options. Given the level of uncertainty in today’s economy and the resulting recession, this 10-step plan to help promote businesses in Enumclaw was a result of feedback from businesses struggling to survive.
1. Promote “Chamber Dollars” and other shopping incentives; partnering with the Enumclaw Chamber of Commerce and Mount Rainier Independent Business Alliance.
2. Implement an Enumclaw beautification program.
3. Temporarily relax city sign codes to allow sandwich-boards and other types of temporary signs.
4. Conduct a citywide survey on citizens’ consumer needs, compile data and target specific business markets.
5. Engage in an industry roundtable discussion with the chamber and MRIBA.
6. Host a business expo to connect potential businesses with available commercial properties.
7. Create incentive programs to promote new business.
8. Assist in funding future “shop local” programs.
9. Electronic reader board.
10. Allocate added funding to chamber to continue economic development.
The CED Committee recently met with chamber and MRIBA representatives to discuss these ideas and possible next steps. With council’s blessing, the chamber is poised to hit the ground running for many of these steps. The first will be to implement a beautification program for downtown Enumclaw. We will be looking to all the civic groups, youth groups and businesses to “Adopt an Island” along Cole Street. These 20 planters at the intersections along Cole Street are currently landscaped with plants and trees; but colorful flowers would add so much more beauty to our downtown core during the spring and summer months. If your group or business is interested in participating in, or obtaining more information for the “Adopt an Island” program, please contact the chamber office at 360-825-7666. We will continue to keep you posted on how we can all work together to “Boost Enumclaw’s Economy.”
A very warm welcome to our newest chamber members: Department of Social and Health Services/Division of Vocational Rehabilitation; Mary Kay Cosmetics-Elyse Juarez; Wright’s Services; Stick It Vinyl Sign and Banner; Chase; Molen Orthodontics; RNC Lath and Plaster Inc.; and Little Caesars Pizza.