Be the first line of defense when it comes to protecting identity. Better Business Bureau serving Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington is teaming up with Wells Fargo to host Secure Your ID Day on Oct. 18 at the Tacoma Mall Parking Lot. This identity theft prevention event features free on-site shredding and tips to protect your identity.
Secure Your ID Day coincides with National Cyber Security Awareness Month. Because 56 percent of identity theft victims can trace the theft to an item stolen from their own possession, BBB advises consumers to shred any documents they no longer need.
Mobile shredding trucks will be on-site accepting up to three bags or boxes of unwanted documents per person. Please note that cardboard and three-ring binders cannot be accepted.
BBB staff will be available to answer questions about preventing identity theft and provide resources for victims. View BBB’s suggested Records Retention Schedule to see how long to keep personal information before shredding.
- What: BBB Secure Your ID Day
- When: 9 a.m. – 1p.m. Saturday, October 18, 2014
- Where: Tacoma Mall Parking Lot, Tacoma WA
- Why: Safely discard unneeded and outdated personal documents to protect your identity
The free shredding event will include:
- On-site, secure document shredding by Shred-it and ProShred—limit of three bags or boxes per person.
- Free child fingerprinting and photo ID cards by Safe Streets.
- Cell phone recycling by Verizon’s HopeLine,—which wipes data and allocates devices to victims of domestic abuse.
BBB advises consumers to educate themselves about online security. For more security tips and the latest alerts, visit BBB.org. Consumers can also download the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Stop. Think. Connect. Toolkit.