- About Us
Historic 'STQRY' tour of Enumclaw with smartphone app
Gaining a keener insight into Enumclaw’s colorful past is as easy as downloading an app to a smartphone.
While that notion might leave some in a fog, the tech-savvy segment of the population now have a handy tool at their fingertips.
As part of the city’s 100th birthday celebration, the Enumclaw Centennial Committee has linked with a Bellevue-based company that delivers history – and more – to the small, hand-held screen. The firm is STQRY, though it’s generally pronounced “story.”
The relationship is to be formally launched on the Fourth of July and Centennial Committee members will stroll about Cole Street during Thursday’s Stars and Stripes parade, handing out information about the Enumclaw Legacy Historical Walking Tour.
Anyone with a relatively-new smartphone can download the STQRY app and connect to a walking tour of historic Enumclaw places. Currently there are 16 sites – all in fairly close proximity – though more are actively being planned.
Using the phone’s touchscreen, information is provided about each site.
Also providing an old-school approach, the Centennial Committee will be installing a placard at each site, giving a short rundown on its historic significance.
The 16 sites now on the tour include the American Legion Hall (built in 1928 on Wells Street, just north of Griffin); Danish Hall (moved and rebuilt in approximately 1900 on Porter Street; Enumclaw National Bank (built in 1923, northwest corner of Cole and Griffin); Farmers’ Mutual Insurance Company (built in 1914 on Cole Street); First National Bank (1941, corner of Cole and Griffin); Gattavara Building (1920); Gunderson’s Home Furnishings (1946, on Cole Street); Lee Hotel (opened 1925 on Griffin Avenue); Jensen Building (approximately 1915, southeast corner of Griffin and Cole); Kochevar Building (built approximately 1917 on Cole Street between Griffin and Myrtle avenues); Lafromboise Building (built in the 1920s, northeast corner of Cole and Griffin); Masonic Hall (1909, on Marion Street); Municipal Building (built approximately 1922 on Griffin between Porter and Wells streets); Peoples State Bank (built approximately 1908 on Griffin Avenue, between Cole and Wells streets); Taylor Brothers Building (built approximately 1910, southwest corner of Cole and Griffin); and the Trommald Building (built in 1920 on the east side of Cole Street between Griffin and Initial).