This photo shows the original Krain tavern and boarding house, circa 1900. This building stood at the intersection of Southeast 400th Street and state Route 169 at the location of the existing Krain restaurant, which replaced it. This earlier building was constructed in the 1890s but torn down in 1907. The rooms upstairs were used as boarding quarters for local miners, farmhands and loggers. The area north of Enumclaw was originally settled by Slovenians who named the area Krain, which meant “at the foot of the hills” in their native language. The original of this photo was provided by Lee Keeney.