Home

Enumclaw Courier-Herald

Back

The facts about carbon monoide and staying safe

December 9, 2012 · 8:20 PM
Comments

 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas known as the silent killer.  According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, CO poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning in the United States.  Diagnosis of CO poisoning can be difficult because symptoms mimic those of many other illnesses and include nausea, headaches, dizziness, weakness, chest pain and vomiting.

In more severe poisoning cases, people may experience disorientation or unconsciousness, or suffer long-term neurological disabilities, cardiorespiratory failure or death.  Regardless of a home’s age, people can be exposed to this poisonous gas, which originates from anything that burns fuel, such as gas furnaces, stoves, water heaters, barbeque grills, wood-burning fireplaces and automobiles.

CO Risks and Fatalities

 

Avoiding CO Poisoning

 

 

Additional CO Alarm Guidelines

 

 

CO Alarm Legislation

 

 

 

To learn more about protecting your family from CO poisoning, visit www.firstalert.com

 

 


Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us