Fire claims home in historic Fairfax area

Editor's note: the following is a press release issued by East Pierce Fire and Rescue

An accidental fire destroyed a historic house the morning of Dec. 15 on the 32600 block of Manley-Moore Road East, south of Fairfax.

Firefighters from East Pierce Fire and Rescue responded to reports of a fire at the single-story, wood structure just before 9 a.m.The owner, who did not live in the house at the time, said he was attempting to thaw frozen water pipes with a propane torch when a wall accidentally caught fire. He reported to dispatchers that the home was fully-involved. By the time firefighters arrived, the structure was a total loss.

According to the owner, the house was built in the early 1900s for supervisors of the Manley-Moore Lumber Company, one of the largest inland sawmills in the state at the turn of the century.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates