- About Us
Pioneer collection moves to Enumclaw historical museum
While adding a significant collection to their inventory of Plateau memorabilia, volunteers at the Enumclaw History Museum decided to keep their doors locked for six weeks.
The Marion Street museum will be the new home for the pioneer collection that has been housed at the Enumclaw library. Included are hundreds of photographs, papers, books and artifacts, along with display cases. A large part of the collection was donated by the Schlotfeldt family in 1963, but other families and individuals have contributed through the years.
The collection was an integral part of the discussion when Enumclaw voters agreed that the city-owned library should be annexed into the King County Library System. Assurances were made that the historic collection would remain with the city and not become county property.
The addition of the extensive collection will require considerable time and effort on the part of museum volunteers, so the decision was made to close the doors on March 29.
The museum will make a splash with a two-day “grand reopening.” The new additions will be on display from 1 to 4 p.m. May 18 and 19, along with existing items in the museum collection.
The museum will then resume its regular schedule, open from 1 to 4 every Thursday and Sunday afternoon.
The museum occupies a large, two-story building that was constructed for the Masonic Lodge in 1909. It was sold to the Episcopal Diocese and then to the Plateau Historical Society, which was chartered in 1994. The museum is at 1837 Marion St.