- About Us
100 Years on the Plateau! | Historical
This photo from the early 1950s was taken inside the Landsburg coal mine north of Enumclaw, near Ravensdale. The photo was likely taken by a reporter for the Renton News Record who was accompanying members of the Renton Housing Authority as part of a tour of the mine. At the time Palmer Coking Coal, the mine operator, was promoting its coal during the annual bid process to service the needs of homes owned by the Renton Housing
Authority which burned coal for heat. Pictured left to right are: Roy Danielson, John H. Morris, Tom Dobson, Carl Roche and two unidentified men. Mining on this seam of coal commenced in 1937 on the Danville side of the ridge separating the Cedar River from Kent-Kangley Road.
Photo provided by Bill Kombol