- Two-car collision kills Buckley WSU student
- Green River levee work requires trail segment through Kent to close | King Count...
- Bloodworks Northwest plans blood drive next Monday
- Gas prices over the holidays stay low | Seattle Weekly Fuel Update & Outlook
- Enumclaw tackles unpaid court fines with new collection agency
- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Arson at Safeway Saturday
An intentional fire Saturday afternoon caused damage at the Enumclaw Safeway store, which was evacuated for a time.
The situation began about 4:45 p.m., when someone used an accelerant to torch a stack of pallets against the building. There was some damage to the wall and the heat and smoke activated the store's interior sprinkler system; the water caused some interior damage, according to Lt. Eric Sortland of the Enumclaw Police Department.
Local officials have shipped evidence to the state crime lab for analysis and are urging business owners to keep combustible materials away from their buildings.
Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact Sortland at 360-825-3505.