Enumclaw leaders approve calendar
October 26, 2009 · 4:53 PM
Nearly five months after it was laid on its table, the Enumclaw School Board approved the 2010-11 calendar with a mid-winter break in February.
District Human Resources Director Kathleen Lockyer presented the board with the same calendar the district and Enumclaw Education Association had agreed upon earlier in the school year.
In May, the Enumclaw School Board sent the 2010-11 calendar back to the association asking them to come up with a calendar that did not include mid-winter break.
The EEA approved the calendar with a 58 percent vote in the spring. Association leadership felt it had negotiated the calendar in good faith with district leadership and that the process had been honored.
In September, the board polled student households regarding mid-winter break preferences with a phone survey. Questions regarding mid-winter break were also part of the district’s recent climate survey.
Many districts have moved to modified break in February that includes the Friday before the Presidents’ Day Monday holiday.
Lockyer said district officials and EEA leaders will look at the process for negotiating future calendars when contract negotiations begin in February.
The calendar is posted at www.enumclaw.wednet.edu.
In other business, the board:
• acknowledge Lockyer for an article on evaluation systems she had published in the state human resources magazine.
• recognized April Gallagher and her sixth-grade daughter Kaycee for organizing the effort to raise money to continue the district’s sixth-grade camp program.
• approved a field trip for the Enumclaw High School band and orchestra students to perform at Disney Magic Music Days in Orlando, Fla., in April.
• OK’d a leave replacement for Sunrise Elementary School teacher Miranda Simacek from .5 to .8 teacher.
• hired assistant groundskeeper Mikell Stowe and Enumclaw High School paraeducator Richard Albright.
• accepted the resignation of district physical therapy assistant Heidi Boldt.