- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Firefighter Web site handy
By Brenda Sexton
• Every year since 2001, cooking has been the No. 1 cause of home fires; in 2008, 48 percent of residential fires originated in the kitchen.
• Open flames and heating fires were No. 2 and No. 3.
• Most heating fires in Washington involve fireplaces or chimneys.
• 73 percent of the 2008 civilian fire deaths occurred where people generally feel safest, at home.
• In 2007, 26 percent of home fire deaths took place in homes without working smoke detectors.
These are a few facts Enumclaw-area residents can find at Enumclaw/King County Fire District 28’s recently revised Web site.
According to Capt. Randy Fehr, www.enumclawfire.com is filled with useful information for the public, he and others at the department plan to keep updated. The site includes safety information, disaster preparedness information, city permit forms, self-inspection plans for businesses and online burn permits.
“The Web site is a work in progress,” Fehr said. “We were trying to get it up as soon as possible for burn permits.”
The Web site will streamline the burn permit process with online access and the ability to make credit or debit card payments, although residents can still pay with a check made out to KCFD 28. The Web site also includes links to King County burn bans and Puget Sound Clean Air.