School projects completed, were within budget
July 5, 2010 · 10:36 AM
A year ago there was a frantic push in the Enumclaw School District to replace the Enumclaw Middle School roof. That project and the installation of heat pumps at Westwood Elementary School are complete, were finished within budget and should last 25 years.
That was the word delivered to members of the Enumclaw School Board by district heating and ventilation specialist Pete French and business manager Randy Stocker.
“Thank you to taxpayers for the support of these projects,” Stocker said during a June 21 presentation. “We got a lot of value for our money.”
The EMS roof, which comes with a 25-year warranty, cost the district $2.4 million. The Westwood project, which replaced 20, 25-year-old heat pumps, ran $307,000.
“Everything in the building now works and we’re committed to keeping it that way,” French said.
In other business, the board:
• approved the 2011-12 school calendar and like in years past, it will include midwinter break. According to district human resources director Kathy Lockyer the Enumclaw Education Association surveyed its membership and put two calendars together with the one the board approved receiving 90 percent of membership approval.
• was informed the Enumclaw High School athletic department earned 100 possible points, plus five out of 15 bonus points in a recent risk management liability assessment, earning an insurance discount.
• approved EHS principal Jill Burnes and staff members Tiffany Armstrong and Darrell Miller, along with four leadership students, to attend a conference in Florida.
• approved a $5,000 donation from Dr. Mary Ballard to the EHS girls water polo team.
• welcomed student representatives Will Holland and Lauren Cary to the board.
• accepted leaves of absences from EHS teacher Jennifer Planellas, Westwood teacher Roberta Morrison, Sunrise Elementary School teacher Nancy Tubbs and Southwood Elementary School secretary Ronna Miller.
• hired teachers Jesse Taylor, EHS; Tiffany Iacobazzi, Miranda Simacek, Kimberly Stone and Travis Ives, Sunrise; Kelly Cole and Erin Markquart, Southwood; Ryan Picinich, Thunder Mountain Middle School; Aimee Powley, Westwood; and Carlee Watson, Black Diamond; occupational therapist Alice Coles and EHS auditorium technician Amanda Kelly.
• accepted retirements from Southwood teacher Beverly Peterson and district office secretary Luanei Houk.
• accepted resignations from TMMS Dean of Students Marci Shepard, EHS teachers Meri Miller and Michael McKinley, paraeducators Glen Fidler and Carol Buckendahl, custodian Robert Kinzler and nurse Debbie Dirks.
• approved the Enumclaw Education Association contract.