Enumclaw is home to quite a number of well known folks, some nationally recognized.
Certainly, one of the those at the top of the list has to be Kasey Kahne. The 32-year-old NASCAR driver is a nationally known sports star who has been at the top of his sport for years.
According to his website, Kahne began his career officially when he won the Northwest Mini-Sprints championship and a title at Hannigan Speedway in 1996.
During the 2012 Sprint Cup, Kahne was driving the No. 5 HendrickCars.com Chevy.
• Another emerging talent from Enumclaw is Rae Solomon, who currently lives in Covington. In September she was named a Top Five finalist to be in Digital Rodeo’s Next Country Star.
I asked Enumclaw School District Superintendent Mike Nelson, who is a lifetime resident of the town, for his suggestion of notable folks. He came up with very good list.
Here are Nelson’s picks:
• Business success would be Richard Kovacevich, a 1961 graduate of EHS and according to an Wikipedia entry on him, he is a retired chairman of the board of directors and previous CEO of Wells Fargo & Company.
• Other athletes: Ronnie Radliff, 1976 graduate who played professional basketball in Australian League. He was on championship teams.
Tony Binetti, a 2002 graduate of EHS who still plays pro basketball in Italy.
• Non-EHS graduate notables – I sure appreciate and value the long-time service of doctors Ken Anderson, G. Randy Magley, Ralf Zech.
• Service and volunteerism: Nancy Merrill
• Member (founding member of many) of every club in town: Bart Jensen
There are a couple of physicians who have made an impact on this community that I would like to add to the list.
• Dr. Luther Frerichs has not only spent years providing healthcare to the community, he has traveled to Nicaragua with the Corner of Love and other countries to provide medical care.
Dr. Paul Gunderson is one of the finest surgeons anyone could find and the community has been fortunate he stayed home to practice after graduating from Harvard Medical School.
This list doesn’t even scratch the surface of notable folks, so if you have some ideas of someone who should be recognized, email or call.