Just in time for some sweltering heat, the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department issued a toxic algae warning for Lake Tapps.
“If there is no visible algae, it should be safe to swim and waterski,” the city of Bonney Lake’s blog states. “However, areas with algae are unsafe for people and pets and should be avoided.”
The city reports the algae is located in the northeast area of the lake, along the north shore of Tapps Island.
“However, as wind direction changes, the algae could be blown to the south end of the lake,” the blog post reads.
The city recommends keeping children and pets away from the algae.
Symptoms of ingesting algae include muscle weakness, vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.
“The risk to pets is much greater than the risk to people,” the city stated. “Pets have smaller body sizes and are more likely to drink water containing a heavy concentration of algae. If a pet ingests a large amount of algae and is showing signs such as vomiting, lethargy, disorientation, or seizures, take it to a veterinarian as soon as possible.”
For more information, please contact Austin Jennings at (253) 798-4715 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lindsay Tuttle at (253) 798-3530 (email@example.com).