The people have spoken and the results are in for the Bonney Lake Chamber of Commerce’s annual awards. Congratulations to all of the winners:
• Citizen of the Year: Lillian McGinnis – Lillian is executive director of Beautify Bonney Lake, where she works tirelessly to “Beautify Bonney Lake.” She also serves as a chamber ambassador and has served on the chamber board of directors. Before Lillian “retired,” she spent 25 years in the banking industry. Lillian also serves on other community and service organizations and is well deserving of this award.
• Business of the Year: Ben Franklin Craft and Frame Shop.
• Chamber Volunteer of the Year: Sundi Thomas, Edward Jones Investments.
• Best New Business: A Lotta Threads consignment store in Sumner.
• Best Home-Based Business: Tom Watson, Signs in Wood; and
• Excellence in Customer Service: Peter’s Insurance.
Awards were presented at the Feb. 9 chamber luncheon.
The chamber is also gearing up for Get Fit Bonney Lake 2012. Our theme for this year is “12 months to a healthy lifestyle.”
Health and wellness is not just about physical fitness and it cannot be achieved in just a few weeks, which is why we are teaming up with businesses in the community to promote different aspects of health and wellness all year long. Some of these business include: MultiCare, Rainier Dental, Prime Fitness, Walmart, Diagnostic Imaging Northwest, Sound Family Medicine, Jay Lee Honda, Newland Communities, Harborstone Credit Union and Mountain View Chiropractic. Watch for special events and promotions from each of these businesses.
We also have several featured events planned for 2012:
• Monthly Walmart Walk – family friendly
Meet with friends each month in a fun and safe environment at the Bonney Lake Walmart. Walks will be inside the store most months at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month.
• Family Fun Fest – family friendly.
May 5, Mountain View Middle School – Organizing partners include the Sumner School District, city of Bonney Lake and the Bonney Lake Chamber of Commerce. Fun-filled day of free activities and education for families.
• White River 5k – family friendly
June 16 – Sponsored and directed by Fleet Feet, this fun annual run is a great way to start out the summer running season. This is a flat/fast USATF-certified course. Profits support the White River High School boys and girls cross country teams.
• Shirt Off Your Back Fun Run/Walk – family friendly
July 21 – The kick-off event to the Get Fit Bonney Lake Business Expo. Run or walk your choice of 1-, 2-, 3- or 5-mile distances. Profits support the Bonney Lake Food Bank and Lions-4-Kids House.
• Get Fit Business Expo – family friendly
July 21 – This year we are combining the Get Fit Bonney Lake Business Expo and the City’s Healthy Living Expo. The Expo is in the Rainier Dental/Prime Fitness parking lot.
• Trail Run – family friendly
Aug. 26 – Various distances for the casual walker, as well as the serious runner. Newland Communities property (Cascadia).
• Labor of Love Triathlon
Sept. 1 – Annual event begins and ends at Allan Yorke Park. Swim, bike and run either a Sprint or Olympic distance. USAT-certified course.
• Warrior Dash
Sept. 22 – Kelley Lake Farms. The world’s largest running series comes to Bonney Lake where 12 obstacles await you along this 3.15-mile course. Are you a warrior?
• Tour de Lights – family friendly
Dec. 21 – Everyone is welcome, dogs and baby strollers included. Race begins and ends at the Bonney Lake Park and Ride and the almost 5k (2.9) miles goes through the Sky Island neighborhood
Lora Butterfield is executive director of the Bonney Lake Chamber of Commerce and can be reached at 253-222-5945 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The chamber office is at 20608 state Route 410, inside Harborstone Credit Union. The chamber’s website is www.bonneylake.com.