Support King County Library annexation of Enumclaw Library | Letter
March 18, 2012 · Updated 9:03 PM
I am writing in support of the Enumclaw City Library being annexed to the King County Library System. While I just read the letter opposing annexation, I didn’t see any reasons why Enumclaw should retain operation of the library other than local control and the City Council didn’t follow procedure.
However, I know of several reasons why the library should be annexed to King County:
1. Currently I have to drive to Black Diamond in order to pick up material that I have requested; I can’t request a hold be delivered to Enumclaw.
2. I tried to return a book to Enumclaw and was told that I should drive to a King County library because King County doesn’t pick up material on a regular basis.
3. The Enumclaw library is closed two days a week and has shortened hours the other five days. Most King County libraries are open seven days a week.
4. Most King County libraries have a book club which meets monthly while Enumclaw doesn’t have a monthly book club.
5. Many King County libraries have tutorial sessions for students.
6. King County libraries have extensive computers for patron use.
7. If Enumclaw is not annexed to King County and the library closes in 2013, Enumclaw residents will not be entitled to a King County library card.
8. If you don’t live within the city limits, you are charged a fee to use the Enumclaw library.
9. The DVD, CD and recorded book selection is extensive at the King County library while Enumclaw’s is sparse and out of date.
10. The King County Library was voted the best in the nation.
11. Enumclaw Library employees will not lose their seniority if it joins King County.
I’ve tried to garner more information from both King County and Enumclaw. The response has been, “We’re not supposed to talk about it.” The reasons I’ve listed are from personal experience and facts I have been able to gather.
I know Enumclaw residents will have a marginal tax increase in order to be part of the King County Library system. I am very willing to pay this tax in order to use the facilities and have the convenience of the vast resources of the best library system in the country.