Class Included in $2 million Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic
October 27, 2012 · 12:48 PM
It’s the big one for Class Included.
Owner Mike Feuerborn announced Friday that Emerald Downs’ 2012 Horse of the Meeting will tackle the world’s toughest older fillies and mares in the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic, Friday, November 2 at Santa Anita. Post time is 4:30 p.m. (Pacific).
Feuerborn said he has been obsessed with the Breeders’ Cup for over two weeks while trying to choose between the 1-1/8-mile Ladies Classic and the seven-furlong Filly & Mare Sprint. He made the announcement Friday while appearing on Gas ‘n Elise on KJR Sports Radio 950.
“It’s the Ladies Classic,” he said. “Now we’re going to get a little nervous about this.”
Feuerborn said the race is far and away the toughest challenge ever faced by the 4-year-old Class Included. She’s been nearly perfect, of course, compiling a 10-6-0 record in 16 starts and three titles at Emerald Downs. But she’s never faced anything close to the competition that awaits her in California.
“The Ladies Classic might be the toughest of the 15 Breeders’ Cup races this year,” Feuerborn said. “But (Class Included) has won three in a row at this distance, all of them impressively. If you’re ever going to take the shot, this is the year to take it.”
The leading owner in purses the last two years at Emerald Downs, Feuerborn said it’s been a dream to go to either the Kentucky Derby or Breeders’ Cup. Now, thanks to Class Included, the dream is a reality for Feuerborn and his wife Amy.
Class Included is probably going to be the longest shot in the race, but she’s earned the shot with a remarkable season in which she has won five stakes and over $200,000.
“It’s the dream I’ve always had but when it starts to become reality, you wonder if it’s real,” he said.
Horses pre-nominated to the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic: Awesome Feather (10-10-0-0-$1,912,746), Class Included (16-10-6-0-$384,526), Grace Hall (10-6-2-1-$1,281,360), In Lingerie (7-4-2-1-$712,265), Include Me Out (12-6-3-1-$713,600), Love and Pride (16-7-2-4-$925,760), My Miss Aurelia (6-6-0-0-$2,026,000), Questing (10-4-2-1-$878,676), Royal Delta (14-8-3-1-$2,623,851).
· In Lingerie has first preference in the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf.
· Defending Ladies Classic champion Royal Delta has second preference in the Breeders’ Cup Classic.
· Entries will be drawn Monday at Santa Anita.
· The Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic will be broadcast live on the NBC Sports Network (Comcast channel 34) with simulcast wagering available at Emerald Downs.
· Preliminary Daily Racing Form morning line by Brad Free: Royal Delta, 5-2; Awesome Feather, 9-2; Questing, 5-1; Love and Pride, 6-1; My Miss Aurelia, 6-1; Grace Hall, 8-1; Include Me Out 8-1; In Lingerie, 12-1; Class Included, 30-1.