You don’t need a GPS tracking system to navigate through all the fun downtown events that are scheduled for 2009. That’s right. The new annual Downtown Event calendar is at the printers right now receiving the final graphic touches and will be available in the next week or two. Many of you already know that the best place to pick up a copy of the much sought after calendar that graces the front of many a Sumner refrigerator is at your local downtown merchants. Rumor has it that many families are reluctant to plan their vacations until they see the dates for the events so they don’t miss anything fun. Ha!
Volunteers have already been meeting throughout the holiday season to begin planning for our first event, the Sweetheart Wine Walk that appropriately falls on Valentine’s Day this year. I’ll be sharing more of the details with you in future columns. Our Mutts off Main committee is also making plans to schedule their first meeting as well.
For those who’d like a preview of the 2009 events, here’s a sneak peek:
• Sweetheart Wine Walk, 4-8 p.m. Feb. 14;
• Bring in Spring Open Houses, 9 to 5 p.m. March 7;
• Daffodil Parade, 2:30 p.m. April 4;
• May Day Kids Parade, 1 p.m. May 3;
• Music off Main, Concerts, Fridays in July
• Mutts off Main, 10 to 3 p.m. July 11;
• Sumner Arts Festival, July 31 and Aug. 1
• Theatre in the Park, 6:30 p.m. Aug 15 and 22;
• Classy Chassis Car Show, 10 to 3 p.m. Aug 24th;
• Mystery Wine Walk, 4 to 8 p.m. Sept 12,
• Scarecrow Contest, 10 to 5 p.m. Oct 3;
• Autumn Evening, 5 to 8 p.m. Oct 3.