The Bonney Lake Police Department for the month of August will be conducting special traffic enforcement, according to a press release on the city of Bonney Lake’s website.
Officers will be looking for seat belt use, child safety seats and violations of cell phone use while driving.
For the month of August, officers have a no tolerance policy for these violations and will issue traffic infractions in an attempt to reduce injuries and death from vehicle collisions, according to the release.
The release also includes statistics as to why following these rules of the road help to save lives.
Some of the statistics are as follows:
- Wearing a seat belt reduces the chance of dying or being injured during a collision by 70 percent
- Teens and young adults have the highest risk – 64 percent of 18 to 34 years old who died during a collision were not wearing a seat belt
- Cell phone distraction while driving increases a driver’s reaction time as much as the legal limit of .08 percent
- Drivers using cell phones are four times more likely to get into a serious crash
- Driving while distracted accounts for 25 percent of police reported crashes