The following is from an East Pierce Fire and Rescue press release:
A motor home that was being demolished for scrap caught fire around 4 p.m. Wednesday, sending a huge plume of black smoke into the sky at the north end of Lake Tapps.
Firefighters from East Pierce Fire and Rescue and Valley Regional Fire Authority arrived at a private residence on the 1200 block of 206th Avenue Court East to find the motor home completely engulfed in flames. The release valve on a propane tank inside the motor home had blown, shooting flames onto a nearby tree.
The firefighters quickly doused the blaze, despite concerns regarding two diesel tanks that were dangerously close to the fire. No other structures were damaged.
A neighbor was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but refused treatment at a hospital.
Although the motor home was a total loss, East Pierce fire marshals said there is no monetary loss since the vehicle was in the process of being demolished. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.