A rainy forecast has washed out work that would have narrowed southbound Interstate 5 to two lanes in SeaTac and Des Moines this weekend. Work on eastbound Interstate 90 across Lake Washington will proceed as scheduled Friday, July 8.
“When we have major work like what is planned for southbound I-5 we want to be sure everything can be completed prior to the Monday morning commute,” said project engineer Mike Askarian. “Striping and paving require dry weather and this weekend’s forecast does not look promising.”
The weather does not affect the I-90 weekend work. Contractor crews working for WSDOT and Sound Transit will reduce eastbound I-90 to one lane and reroute traffic to the express lanes as they continue work in the Mount Baker and Mercer Island tunnels. Crews will finish work that was suspended during a March windstorm.
Drivers traveling to the eastside of Lake Washington should plan for lengthy delays along Interstate 405, eastbound State Route 520 and eastbound I-90.
I-90 traffic details: 11 p.m. Friday, July 8, until 5 a.m. Monday, July 11
- Eastbound I-90 traffic between Rainier Avenue South and Bellevue Way Southeast will be routed to the express lanes.
- The eastbound I-90 exit to Rainier Avenue South will remain open.
- The Rainier Avenue South on-ramps to eastbound I-90 will be closed. Drivers should follow the signed detour via South Dearborn Street and Fourth Avenue South.
- Flammable materials will be prohibited in both directions of I-90. Drivers must use alternate routes such as I- 405 or state routes 520 or 522.
- The I-90 Trail will not be affected during the closure.
Special events that also will affect traffic
- Mercer Island Summer Celebration: 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Saturday, July 9, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, July 10.
- Seattle Sounders vs. LA Galaxy at CenturyLink Field: noon Saturday, July 8.
- Seattle Storm vs. Indiana at KeyArena: 4 p.m. Sunday, July 10.