A small residence on the corner of Fourth Avenue and Edith Street in Buckley caught fire on the evening of May 2, prompting a rapid response of the Buckley Fire Department.
“From the time we arrived at the scene, to the time that the fire was extinguished, it took us about 12 minutes to put the blaze out,” Buckley Fire Chief Alan Predmore said. “There was extensive damage by the back door and windows, but the house may be salvageable. That will be up to the insurance company.”
Donna Zweekhorst, who was renting and living in the home with her daughter, said she had just gotten out of the shower when she began to hear popping and crackling sounds. By the time she emerged from her bathroom a minute later, the back of the house was completely engulfed in flames.
“I have no idea how the fire started,” Zweekhorst said. “I just hope my daughter and I aren’t going to be homeless now.”
Predmore said there was an early indication as to what may have caused the fire, but an investigation is taking place.